Monday, December 6, 2010

Jacks

Recently I had a conversation with my roommates about our future. We were reviewing each others' resumes, talking about potential companies to work for, etc. The question that came up was "What is your top selling point?" It dawned on me that I've become a "Jack of all trades, master of none". Over the past 4 years I've picked up skills I never would've even thought of getting a chance to. Who would've thought that I would learn to make films, music, or even learn how to speak Java or ASCii. Who would've thought my eyes could be trained to be keen on design or that my ears could be trained to pick up every little detail that composes a song. Maybe this was my purpose for coming to Syracuse. I can't imagine picking up any of these skills had I have gone to RISD or Parsons. Thank God for more of an "open" institution.

Its nice having a wide range of flexibility but at the same time its quite limiting because "anything I can do, someone can do better". In society today, people prefer an expert, a master in a particular field of profession. No one wants to choose the teacher over the electrician or vice versa. I guess I'm screwed because I still have not found that one thing I want to/can master. As job applications pile up and the nail-biting process of opening reply mails continue, I hope I chose the right path for myself. If I had gone and pursued one skill to master would I be better off? I'd be a master in that field but I'd lose my flexibility. After being a so called "jack", I've noticed it does come with its benefits that a master cannot comprehend. It may not land me a job right away, but it does come with its perks. Jacks are pretty much shunned in the job market but who's to say Jacks can't succeed. 

Do I secretly want to be a Jack of all trades, master of none? Deep down somewhere within my subconscious is a desire to be a master of everything. I want to be good at everything I've learned. Realistically that's never going to happen so for the moment I'll humbly accept my title of Jack. 

In due time may God grant me the desire to become a master of one (or two). 


No comments: