Sunday, November 27, 2011

Black Friday and a Curiosity

I'm guilty for stealing the title idea from another amazing writer. Like many others, I too went black friday shopping. None of the midnight madness though, I'm more of a scavenger. I like to scrap through the leftovers in the aftermath of the craziness. I'm proud to say I've finally gotten myself a decent coat. So with black friday and savings and all, I got myself a $250 coat for $5. I paid with a hamilton and it felt great.

Thanksgiving is also over and I hope everyone had a great time with their family and friends had thought of numerous things to be thankful for. What is interesting though is that now its officially Christmas season and you can see the numerous lights and wreaths (reefs as I used to spell it in elementary school) around town with the slogan "happy holidays" everywhere. Just curious, what happened to "merry christmas"? Is it officially deemed "offensive" to some people so they use "happy holidays" now? Hence I shake my head.

If your significant other can get their own day, if MLK, Columbus, and the President can get their own days, if the American flag can get its own day, if a frikin leprechaun, a pumpkin, and a turkey can get their own days, why can't we just celebrate the One who deserves so much more than just two days? Why must He be overshadowed completely by the easter bunny and santa?

...and yet the "happy holidays" people still sing, "glory to the new born king" and "we wish you a merry christmas". In my honest opinion, thats just sort of hypocritical, just a little. I'm not being cynical, I'm just legitimately curious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bible Progress - 2 Corinthians 11

1 comment:

Stan said...

Haha I'm honored to have my title idea used. And I'll still use Merry Christmas over Happy Holidays.